Alta Badia is a sunny valley in the south-eastern part of South Tyrol, that stretched for about 16 km. This area includes the South Tyrolean Ladin municipalities of Corvara, Colfosco, La Villa, La Val, San Cassiano and Badia.
Alta Badia is located in the most authentic heart of the Dolomites (UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2009) and it is one of the most beautiful areas in South Tyrol.
Unspoilt nature, characteristic villages and imposing rocky peaks will frame your holiday. These features make it the ideal destination for those who want to spend an active, yet relaxing holiday, surrounded by extraordinary natural beauty.
During the winter season, the 54 modern lifts allow you to fully appreciate the 130 km of well-prepared, snow-covered slopes. While in summer the snow gives way to incredible landscapes and a pleasant climate: green meadows, flowers, beautiful animals and a light breeze.
Sports and activities in Alta Badia
Alta Badia and the Dolomites offer to sports enthusiasts a wide range of activities for all seasons.
Winter activities in the Dolomites: a world beyond skiing
Winter in Alta Badia is a dimension to be discovered that goes far beyond putting on boots, putting on skis and enjoying the most beautiful slopes. TravelingItaly has chosen 4 alternatives for you:
- Cross-country ski. Cross-country skiers have around 40 kilometres of trails leading through meadows and forests to the foot of the Dolomite peaks.
- Toboggan runs. You’re never too old to go sledging! From winter 2021, it will also be possible to toboggan at night on the Tru dla liösa Foram toboggan run.
- Guided hikes. With experienced hiking guides you can discover the impressive landscape of Alta Badia on a walk, a snowshoe hike or an evening excursion.
- Horse-drawn sleigh. If you want to spend a relaxed or romantic afternoon, there’s nothing better than a horse-drawn sleigh ride through the beautiful snowy landscape.
Summer activities and sports in Alta Badia
Summer in Alta Badia is pleasantly mild and it invites you to spend your days outdoors doing sports and exercise.
- Adventure park. The new dimension of adventure in the nature of the Dolomites, suitable for young and old.
- Climbing. Alta Badia offers many opportunities to climb on natural rock; indoor climbing gyms are also available for those who want to learn the first secrets of climbing.
- Panoramic flights. You can experience the thrill of flying over the Dolomites and admire the landscape from a new perspective.
- Mountain biking. This area is also the perfect destination for mountain bikers. The cycling area lies between 1300 and 2000 metres above sea level, surrounded by the imposing peaks of the Dolomites.
The best hotels in Alta Badia
There is a wide choice of hotels, flats, B&Bs and mountain huts in Alta Badia. If you don’t know which one to choose, here are some of the best ones.
- Hotel Sport is a 3-stars superior establishment, located in the centre of Colfosco. It is an ideal starting point for winter sports enthusiasts, thanks to its location directly on the town’s main ski slope.
- Apartments Tino is located in the municipality of La Val, away from traffic and bustle but still centrally located. It is located surrounded of greenery, in an incomparable landscape of woods and Dolomite peaks.
- Chalet Prades Dolomiti Lodges is located in the municipality of La Villa and it is a 4-stars accomodation. It is a family-run lodge-apartament.
- For those who want more, there is the Romantik Hotel Cappella in Colfosco. A 5-star luxury hotel located directly on the ski slopes of the Sellaronda. The hotel offers to its guests an indoor pool, heated outdoor pool, spa, games room and garden.
All rights reserved © Copyright Altrama Italia